Here are the leading ways in which the ID thief steals your personal information:
- Skims information from one of your credit card transactions.
- Gathers personal information from your social networking sites or smartphone.
- Steals your paper mail.
- Hacks into your computer network or databases or installs IT equipment to capture your personal information without your knowledge.
- "Shoulder Surfs" (secretly watches you to obtain login credentials).
- "Dumpster dives" into residential or business trash bins.
- Steals your electronic device (phone, computer, iPad, etc.).